6 Best Homeopathic Medicines for Tonsillitis Treatment
What are Tonsils?
The tonsils are a pair of soft masses located at back of the throat. Each tonsil is composed of special tissues called lymphoid tissues similar to lymph node. It is covered by a thin mucosal layer. Each tonsil have small pocket like structure called tonsil crypts. The tonsils are part of the lymphatic system. It contains several types of T cells and Bcells, type of white blood cells. The role of T and B cell is to protect the body from external infection. The tonsils play a role in protecting the body against respiratory and gastrointestinal infections.
Function of Tonsils:
Release of Lymphocytes: Tonsils contains the T and B lymphocytes. It releases the lymphocites at the time of any threat of viral or bacterial infection. The lymphocytes have the function of destroying the infected cells so that the infection can not spread further. Thus those 2 small masses of tonsils helps to protect our body from attack of any external infection that comes through inhalation or eating or drinking. Tonsils trap bacteria and viruses and destroy them.
Prevent Respiratory Infections: The pair of tonsils protects the lungs from bacteria and viruses that enter the body through the nose. They trap the harmful inhaled bacteria and viruses and destroy them by releasing the lymphocytes, thus prevents to spread the infection from throat to lower part of respiratory tract. It protects the lungs each and every moment when we do exposes to various threats. Those are like the two gate keeper that protects our lungs from any types of external threat. Some times when the tonsils are frequently affected it is advised in the conventional treatment to operate it or remove. But in fact it is not the right decision to remove those which are helping our body from external infection.
Prevent Gastric Infections: Each pair of tonsils is made up of three types of tonsils, the palatine, pharyngeal and lingual tonsils. Collectively, these masses of lymphatic tissue encircle the back of the nasal and oral cavities. The major function of tonsils is to defend the body agains various pathogens or microorganism enter to the digestive tract. The digestive tract or alimentary canal begins at mouth and traverse down to pharynx, oesophagus, stomach, intestine, and ends at anus.
- Acute tonsillitis: Acute condition of tonsil infection caused either by bacteria or virus called the acute tonsillitis. In this condition tonsils are swelled, inflamed, pain during deglutition and develop a grey or white coating of exudates.
- Chronic tonsillitis: Persistent infection of the tonsils at slightest exposure develop the condition of chronic tonsillitis. Here the tonsils are always in large size due to the repeated episode of acute infection.
- Peritonsillar abscess: An infection creates a pocket of pus next to the tonsil, pushing it toward the opposite side. It is called the peritonsilar abscess
- Acute mononucleosis: Usually caused by the Epstein-Barr virus. Mononucleosis causes severe swelling in the tonsils, fever, sore throat, rash, and fatigue.
- Strep throat: Streptococcus, a bacteria when infects the tonsils and throat is called as Strep throat.
- Tonsilloliths (tonsil stones): Tonsil stones, or tonsilloliths, are formed when the trapped debris in the tonsilar crypts get hardens, or calcifies.
What are the Causes of Tonsillitis?
Tonsillitis is most often caused by viruses, & bacterial infections according to the etiological factors
The viral tonsillitis- Viruses are the most common cause of tonsillitis. Viruses that cause most of the acute tonsillitis are the adenovirus, rhinovirus, influenza, coronavirus, and respiratory syncytial virus. Less common viruses are the herpes simplex virus, Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), cytomegalovirus, and HIV. There are many different viruses that can cause tonsillitis, including
- Influenza Virus,
- Parainfluenza Virus,
- Epstein-Barr Virus (Mononucleosis),
- Measles Virus, And
- Herpes Simplex Virus.
Bacterial tonsillitis- Bacterial infections can also cause tonsillitis. The bacterial tonsillitis (strep throat) is caused by Group A beta-hemolytic Streptococcus pyogenes (GABHS). The most possible symptoms are given below:
Other common Causative Factors:
- Tonsillitis can spread from one person to another person by coughing, sneezing and kissing.
- Adults who have some form immune deficiency condition (for e.g. HIV-infected patients) are also susceptible to tonsillitis.
- Abuse of antibiotics- abuse of antibiotics can destroys the normal flora of organisms in the mouth and triggers the tonsillitis
- uncontrolled diabetes are also one causes of tonsillitis.
Difference between viral and bacterial tonsillitis
The most possible symptoms of viral tonsillitis are given below:
- The tonsils are enlarged, red, congested.
- The uvula is red, congested.
- There is pain during swallowing.
The most possible symptoms of bacterial tonsillitis are given below:
- The tonsils are swelled,
- Red with whitish patches over the tonsils.
- There is gray furry tongue, swollen uvula with throat redness.
What are the Symptoms of Tonsillitis?
The common sign and symptoms of tonsillitis are a follows
- Throat pain - Pain in the throat is the common symptoms in any type of tonsillitis. The pain may last more than 48 hours. There is soreness and tenderness during swallowing of anything. Even empty swallowing also causes pain
- The Pain may sometimes be referred to the ears.
- There is sometime foul odour from the mouth affected with strep throat
- The sub maxillary lymph nodes are enlarged and tendered in case severe acute ttonsilitis
- In strep throat there is a whitish coating on the tongue.
- Signs of dehydration may be found by examination of skin and mucosa.
- Severe lethargy, feverishness or low-grade of fever accompany with acute tonsillitis.
- A grey membrane covering tonsils are found from an EBV infection.
- Pinpoint red spots are found on the soft palate in case of EBV infection.
- Small children may complain of abdominal pain.
- There is headache and heaviness of head
- Hoarseness of voice or changes in the voice.
- High to moderate fever.
- In case of sepsis on the tonsils, there may be fever with chills.
- painful ulcerated areas are on the throat
- There is dry Cough associates with tonsilitis
- Mild to severe Headache
- Infected tonsils along with adenoids causes distress breathing and block the drainage of the sinuses.
- The chronic sinus hypertrophied condition with adenoid can causes sleep disorders like apnoea
- There is snoring in children if the adenoids are enlarged
- Pain in the ear due to the blocking of Eustachian tube.
- On Examination shows intense redness of tonsils and pharynx.
- There is poor appetite, increased irritability also notice in small childrens having tonsillitis.
Types of tonsillitis:
Tonsillitis is divided into three types, which is dependent upon frequency of times tonsillitis occurs and how long it lasts:
- Acute tonsillitis: Acute tonsillitis includes cases where symptoms last anywhere from three days to about two weeks.
- Recurrent tonsillitis: Recurrent tonsillitis occurs when a person suffers multiple episodes of acute tonsillitis a year.
- Chronic tonsillitis: It occurs when a person suffers episodes of last longer than acute tonsillitis in addition to other symptoms that include:
- chronic sore throat
- bad breath, or halitosis
- tender lymph nodes in the neck
Homeopathy treatment for Tonsillitis:
Homeopathy treatment can be grouped into 2 types according to the types of tonsilities.
According to the state of tonsillitis
Acute tonsillitis- in acute tonsillitis the symptoms are in higher intensity and required a treatment that can give relief within a short period of time. So in this state it is required to consider all the acute symptoms and selecting of medicines as per the acute characteristic symptoms in homeopathic basis. Those medicines will control the acute symptoms instantly.
Chronic tonsillitis- In chronic tonsillitis the common symptoms are of enlarged tonsils size, occasionally pain on tonsil portion after exposure to cold, uncomforted feeling inside the throat etc. Here it is required a treatment to cure the condition for a long period of time by applying the most classical approach of constitutional homeopathy treatment. The constitutional treatment is purely base on the totality of symptoms of the person. As per the totality f symptoms whatever medicine comes if it is given in a systematic way for a longer period of time is helpful to cure the tonsillitis for years together even permanently.
What are plus point of homeopathy treatment in tonsillitis
- It gives rapid relief to the acute condition of tonsillitis in compare to other therapy
- It not only cure the tonsillitis, but cures the allergic sensitivity of the person’s immune system so he/she leads a healthy life for life long
- Homeopathy medicines are very safe and without any side effects. So it cures the disease in a very smooth and holistic way
- It is given to all age group from 1 day infant to 80 years old person.
- It is very palatable and thus favourite for small children. The little kids are very fond of taking these round sugar pills.
- Homeopathy offers a long term cure to the tonsillitis condition as it modify the hypersensitive nature of person’ immune system to a healthy functioning immune system
Here there are some common homeopathy medicines given for tonsillitis
Belladonna – belladonna is the most common and hugely prescribed homeopathy medicines in tonsillitis. Belladonna has the best anti inflammatory action and thus helps a lot to relief the symptoms both in acute and chronic condition. The key symptoms by which belladonna is prescribes are – pain in throat at the time of wallowing, red congested and swelling of tonsils, mild to moderate fever associates with tonsillitis, headache and malaise also present. The tonsils are been affected by taking any cold things like chilled drink or ice cream or cold drink or exposing to cold air etc. The throat pain is slightly relieved after taking any sort of warm drink. If all those symptoms are prominently found in a tonsillitis patient then belladonna is the suitable medicine for that person.
Mercurius Solubis- Here is another best medicine for tonsillitis. The key symptoms to prescribe tonsillitis are – pain in throat, congestion of tonsils and unable to drink or eat anything. There is more salivation from mouth. The pain is worse in the night time in compare to day time. There is swelling of tonsils and also swelling of other lymph nodes in neck and sub mandibular regions. There is mild to moderate fever and the person feels thirsty though there is more salivation. If the above symptoms are prominent in any tonsillitis patient this medicine is most suitable medicine for that person
Phytolacca- it is also one of the important medicine in tonsillitis. The tonsils are dark red or bluish red in colour. There is much pain at the root of tongue, soft palate. The tonsils are swollen. There is a sensation of a lump in throat. While taking any food the throat feels rough, narrow, and hot. The Tonsils are swollen, especially of right side. There is a sharp shooting pain into ears on swallowing anything. There is much pain when swallow anything hot. The pain of phytolacca is burning type of pain. The person cannot swallow anything even water.
Hepar Sulphur- Hepar Sulphur is one of the best Homeopathic medicines for tonsillitis. The tendency to suppuration is most marked, and has been a strong guiding symptom in tonsillitis. When swallowing, sensations as if a plug and of a splinter like sensation in throat. There is quinsy with suppuration of tonsils. When swallowing there is stitching type of pain in throat extending to the ear. There is mild to moderate fever and chilliness is feeling during the tonsillitis affection. The person is very chill and cannot tolerate any cold air or cold water.
Calcarea Carb – It is a medicine for chronic tonsillitis problem. The person is bulky, obese, gaining weight easily. He is though fatty but very weak in stamina. Exhausted or tired on slightest physical activity. He/she sweats a lot on slightest physical exertion. He is very susceptible to catch cold. the tonsils are large, swelled and get acutely affected on slightest exposure to cold. The throat appearance itself is not always sufficient to prescribe on, but the complaints in the throat are those that come on in persons taking cold so frequently. On every cold he will have cough, tonsil affection, appetite lost. The calcarea carb child is very lazy and lethargic in nature. he takes cold from every, draft, from very exposure, and from damp weather. There are little red patches in the throat, this extends to the roof of the mouth, a sore tongue, and a constant dry, choking feeling in the pharynx, covering the tonsils. The throat is very painful on swallowing.
Baryta Carb – it is one of the 1st grade medicine for chronic tonsillitis. The tonsils are inflamed, swelled and very painful in acute condition. After the acute attack passed on the tonsils looks larger than with the last cold. The child is weak, not fatty like calcarea carb. Physically and also mentally he is week. He/she has a tendency to catch cold very easily. But the most important symptom is whenever he catch cold first it attack to the tonsil or throat. So it is written in allens materia medica that every cold settles in the throat. The person sweats more from the feet. Every cold change inflames the tonsils, and in children they very soon enlarge. Children with enlarged tonsils, and with enlarged glands in other places, somewhat weak intellectually, slow to learn. The throat is very painful on swallowing. On every cold change of the weather, and on every exposure to the cold, he gets rattling respiration.
Self care tips :
Tonsillitis is highly contagious. To decrease your risk of getting tonsillitis, stay away from people who have active infections. Wash your hands often, especially after coming into contact with someone who has a sore throat, or is coughing or sneezing. If you have tonsillitis, try to stay away from others until you are no longer contagious.
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Get lots of rest
- Gargle with warm salt water several times a day
- Use throat lozenges
- Use a humidifier to moisten the air in your home
- Avoid smoke
My child is6 years old and one side is swalling and there is always fever and cough for this problem and there immunse system is also weak blood ihbis very low and he is weak plz give me suggestions
Hello Dr.,I have 7 year old daughter which suffering from tonsils last 2-years.Sometime they get relief automatically but since last year tonsil have become permanently and tonsils are large with white spots and swelling is there.but no pain in throat while eating/drinking anything.Here a big problem is there her nose also running (sulvel) always,but doctors (ENT) are saying that there is no option except surgery.please suggest me and tell us the best homeopathic medicine so that this disease ends forever...Thank you
my son has problem of toncils he is 7 years old.we gave him alopethic medecine for 4years and now from 2years he is taking holropethic medecine.but there os not any improvrment.he fall sick after 10 days fever ear pain we are very worried about his health.is homeopethic medecine cure his tonsils.
yes its 100% curable
In Homeopathy does not have any fixed medicines for any particular disease. The homeopathy treatment basically depends on the cause of the diseases. So, we suggest you to visit us or you can apply our online treatment for your piles problem.and get your details case history , so that we can assist you better. You can call us at 9937412150 to know the details about the treatment.